Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Friday, October 9, 2009

Prepare for the freeze

Today was the last day that Gilmore's Green Acres was selling vegetables at the corner of College and Kannal. If you missed them, you can catch them tomorrow morning at the last Farmers' Market on the Court House Square.
Mrs. Gilmore said that they had cleaned out the garden because of the forecast of frost for this weekend. They harvested the peppers and the brussel sprouts and the cabbages and a lot of spaghetti squash.
They also had lots of pumpkins.
Do you have to harvest anything before the frost? I need to take cuttings of my sweet potatoes. I put them in water to root them, then plant them in flower pots and grow them as house plants over the winter. Next spring I will put them back into the garden, as I have been doing for about ten years. In a week or two I will dig them up and see what is under the ground.

Update: I had orginally written that 10-10 was the last farmers' market. I talked to the people at the farmer's market this morning (10-10-09) and they said they would be back until the end of October. Gilmore's, who is the largest of the vendors there, is quitting after this weekend.

No comments: