Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Forest fire

On Saturday June 12 I was jogging out Mattheson when I noticed some smoke in the little cluster of trees on the west side of the road. I wondered why someone was burning there, and why a car was stopped. The smoke was coming from a fire in a hollow of a tree and the car was a police car.

On the way back I found a Marion Township fire truck with two firefighters sprinkling the area. I guess it is a bit of an exaggeration to call it a forest fire, but if it was caused by a lightening strike a few days earlier, it started the way many forest fires do start. And it may be as close to a forest fire as we have around here. 
Last summer there was a muck fire north of town that I wanted to see but never did. At least I did not miss all the excitement with this one.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hmmm, I wonder if the fire in the hollow tree was started the same way a fire was started in a stump in Rensselaer many, many years ago...

Anonymous said...

Is this an insider's joke?