Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Is it gone already?

On Monday afternoon I noticed a Christmas tree on the side of the street. Some people are now finished with Christmas and ready to move on to the next holiday. I prefer to savor the season a while. I find January and February bleak, so extending the Christmas season into January is a good thing. The weather has cooperated--we have our Christmas snow this morning, a couple days late--a white post-Christmas. (The kids may enjoy it, but I hope we will be back to boring brown by the end of the day.)
Traditionally the twelve days of Christmas are the days between Christmas and Epiphany, which is January 6th. The stores, though, are eager to push out the Christmas merchandise so they can get ready for the next holiday, Valentine's Day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Survivor, I'm with you. I enjoy the color and lights for a longer period of time than most people. Good argument for an artificial tree...it doen't shed its branches when left up, and does not wind up in the gutter as a barren reminder of Christmas past. I'm not sure why we, as a culture, are in such a rush to get somewhere else.

Anonymous said...

Yes, January 6th was, I heard, a traditional gathering night for our most famous English artist, Lilian Fendig. I agree with savoring the season as long as one can. I personally did not get started early enough, so one New Year's resolution is to begin just before Thanksgiving and continue through the twelve days of Christmas.