Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Swooshes

The Prairie Arts Council has an exhibit of painting, sculptures, and other art objects by John Mullin that runs until June 15, 2012. The title of the exhibit is Static-Kinetic and most of the objects have a swoosh-like appearance.
Mr. Mullin is a graphic artist from northwestern Indiana where he owns a graphic design and sign company and has been president of the Chesterton Art Center for 20 years.
The bit of art that impressed me most is not currently showing, but was on display at the reception for the artist earlier this month. He had several books that he had designed and printed through SnapFish. One was a book of letters, where the letters made up an object that started with the letter. So it had an airplane made of "A"s and a train made of "T"s. I was mildly impressed until I learned that he had done all the lettering with a pen. (He then digitized it and colored the digitized copy.) Then I was very impressed. I talked to Mr. Mullin, and he said he was trying to get his letter book published--it would make a great kids book. I suggested that if he could not find a existing publisher to produce the book, he consider self publishing through CreateSpace, Amazon's print-on-demand publisher.

I hope he finds a way to make the book available to the public.

The exhibit is open the the public Mondays, Tuesday, Thursdays, and Fridays from 10 until 2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is super that you connected with the artist. He is such a gentleman and multitalented. I agree he could self publish. I would by his book.