Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Something that amuses me

Years ago I spent time designing typefaces. I had more enthusiasm than talent and realized fairly quickly that I could not compete in the important areas of typography. So I focused on niche areas, designing what might be called gimmick typefaces: letters composed of hammers, pipes, screws and screw drivers, wrenches and bolts, toilet items, umbrellas, footprints, hand prints, silverware, cigarettes, hammers and sickles, bows and arrows, and much, much more.

As a byproduct of something else I have been working on, I am releasing my first new typefaces in several years. They are gimmick typefaces, but can you see the gimmick?


I do not expect these faces to sell well (if at all) because they fill a niche that up to now was empty and no one was bothered by that emptiness. However, I enjoyed the challenge of designing them.

Update: The answer is here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alright, I give up, what is the gimmick?

UA