Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

First freeze

We had our first freeze last night. Maybe it was our first frost, too. I went out at sunrise to see how cold it had been and found my garden plants with a coating of white.
Frost outlined this leaf.
It was cold enough last night to freeze water left in containers. This water in a garbage can lid had only a thin layer of ice, but that means it had been cold enough so that all the cold sensitive garden plants--tomatoes, beans, peppers, squash, sweet potatoes, okra, and a few more--are now dead, unless they were protected.
At least we are not getting the snow that parts of Iowa and Illinois are getting. The weather now matches the short days we have.

I stopped by the Fun Fest at Fountain Stone Theater on Saturday to see what was going on, and for lack of a better place to put them, I am tacking the pictures I took onto this post.
I was too late to see the Jesse White Tumblers, but I did see a funny looking dog walking across the field.
A clown was entertaining a group of kids.
I recall seeing this camel at the Fall Festival at the Fair Grounds. The petting zoo there charged admission.
There was also a free movie, which rumor said was Despicable Me II.

1 comment:

Old WPUM Engineer said...

That funny looking dog and his companions look like they're from Rensselaer's fire department. Everyone has turn out gear on. The dalmatian is part of their safety program for children.