Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Tidbits 08-29-2015

This morning I went by the Cullen Street rail crossing, which seemed to be still closed on Friday. It is open now.

I noticed that some of the signage at the new E-zea Auto Center was missing. I asked and discovered that the business is moving a block south and will be in the Robert's Auto Center. The building that they are in is not ideal for washing cars and the new location should work better, especially in the winter.
 The Farmers Market was busy this morning. This is the time of the year when fruits and vegetables are producing in abundance. I noticed a bit more signage had been revealed on the old Hoover House building. It looks like Service Window. Adya's has announced their opening date--Sept 8.
I received a message about the former use of the building from a regular reader of this blog, "The Creamery was in business in 1947, Dr. Mackey's eye clinic was located in the south end of the building. I received my first pair of glasses in 1947 from him, wow I finally could see the words in my school books. My father took me to the Creamery for an ice cream sundae afterwards."

I noticed that the building next to the tire service on Front Street was being gutted. I do not think there have been businesses in there recently, though there may have been some apartments.
 A half a dozen soccer games were in progress this morning on the grounds of what was the Monnett School. There were several hundred people there. Some of the players were very young and the game seemed to consist of a pack of kids running after the ball and trying to kick it.
Swimming season may be over (the pool at Brookside Park has been drained) but the Remington splash pad will be open until Labor Day. The Remington Facebook page had some pictures that were taken from an aerial lift.

 On Friday I went to Monticello for the CDC Resources Fish Fry. On the way I noticed that a foundation has been set for the memorial (is that the right word?) for the Hanging Grove School. I also noticed the new addition to the Monon Connection / Whistle Stop, a red caboose. An article in the Monticello paper reported that the caboose had been in a railroad museum in Kentucky but was going to be destroyed because it was in very bad shape. It was restored largely by the maintenance director of West Central High School.
At the dinner I sat across from a crop adjuster who told me that he had been looking at some fields near Paar. One of them was evaluated at 13 bushels per acre and others at zero. I mentioned that the soybeans looked better than the corn. He said the plants looked good, but they were not setting as many pods as they should be setting. A lot of the corn is starting to turn brown, so harvesting is not too far away.

Have you noticed that the days are noticeably shorter. Where did August go?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think Dr. Mackey was ever in the Hoover House Building. Dr Mackey used to have an office in a house next to Hoover House that was split into two separate offices; Dr Mackey was in one office and a dentist shared the other have of the house.

Gene said...

The dentist was Dr. Pavy. He pulled my first rotten adult tooth and filled the cavity in the one next to it. That extraction really hurt... he was a brutal dentist, in my opinion.