Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Church maintenance

(I thought it would be interesting to use Sundays to focus on Rensselaer's churches and to see how many Sundays I can go before I run out of material. Indiana is richly endowed with religious denominations, with influences from North and South, East and West. This is part of that series of posts.)

This summer I saw maintenance being done on two of the Rensselaer churches. In May there was a crew cleaning the stonework and making whatever repairs were needed at St. Augustine's.
Older buildings have a lot of charm, but they usually require more care than newer buildings.
In July and into August there have been two trucks at the First Presbyterian Church doing exterior maintenance.
I have done posts on all the churches I can find in Rensselaer and within three miles of Rensselaer. There are still about a dozen churches near Rensselaer, some in places like Kniman, Virgie, Parr, Fair Oaks, and Gifford, but until I actually visit them, I do not want to post on them.

No comments: