Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

School days

The window in the Jasper County Historical Society has a display titled "School Days." Summer is ending, and students are eagerly or reluctantly going back to school.

I, too, will take another lap around the old school routine and, as a result, the amount of blogging I will be doing in the next few months is going to drop. I have been posting every day, some times more than once a day, for several months. I cannot keep up that pace given my need to attend to other tasks. Expect shorter posts and fewer posts.
This summer I spent a few days babysitting in Bedford, Indiana. While there I wandered the halls of the Stalker Elementary School and was amused by some of the signs I saw. The drinking fountains, for example, had lots of rules.
Another had slightly different rules. I wonder if the inconsistency from drinking fountain to drinking fountain confused students.
I was especially amused by the "We are a 'bully free' school" sign. It may seem a noble goal, but there is no way that a group of kids will not produce bullies. If you take all the kids who are bullied and hate bullies and put them together, new bullies emerge. I saw that process when I was a camp counselor.
I have not been in the Rensselaer grade schools for long time. Do they have signs like these?

No comments: