Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Great Lobelia and other August flowers

I had the opportunity to walk along a road in Walker Township recently, and found this flower:
It is Great Lobelia (Lobelia siphilitica), a plant with pretty flowers but not much use. It is sometimes found in flower gardens. It blooms in the late summer when most of the other plants that are blooming have yellow flowers, so it stands out.

Another plant that I had to look up because I did not know it was Late Boneset or Eupatorium serotinum.
At least that is what I think it is. The leaf matches very well.
A final find of the day was Flowering Spurge, or Euphorbia corollata.
I always enjoy learning a few more plants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are a botanist at heart. There is so much to see and so little time to see it all.