Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Liming the fields

I do not expect to see activity in the farm fields during winter, but on Thursday I heard equipment in the fields just west of Rensselaer. A crew was loading lime into trucks to spread on the fields.
Liming alters soil acidity (or pH), and that affects the ability of plants to absorb nutrients.

You can see that the sky is overcast, and within an hour of these pictures being taken, snow was falling. The field is now white, not from the lime but from the snow.
As I was leaving, a dump truck delivered another load of lime.
Whenever I talk to the farmers, I realize how little I know about the technology that grows our crops.

No comments: