Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Little toads (Updated)

The river has flooded the field east of Weston Cemetery again, and I noticed that along the shoreline there were small tadpoles. I caught one and was surprised to see that it was almost done with the tadpole stage. It had front and back legs, but still had a tail. The tadpoles were tiny--you can see two of them in a cap from a Power Ade bottle.
After I took the picture, I noticed that there were some tiny toads without tails in the grass. They will soon be crossing Lincoln Ave and hundreds will be run over. I caught a few and transplanted them to my garden. I hope that they stay and do not move on. They are certainly more welcome than the bunnies--I have four little ones and several big ones that like my yard.

The Iroquois River has peaked and is beginning to recede. Its peak was a bit higher than its peak earlier this year, but it never was high enough to put water across Lincoln Avenue or flood Potawatomie Park.
Update: The new pedestrian bridge is a popular place from which to view the high water in the Iroquois.
 This is the view looking to the Washington Street bridge.

No comments: