Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Single digit

The temperature this morning according to my computer was 9 degrees. I suppose we should get used to it--we will be having cold like this off and on for another three or possibly four months.

I got to play Santa Claus this weekend for a birthday party. I dressed up in a Santa outfit and even fooled a few of those gullible kids, even without the fake beard. However, I was something of a failure--I did not make a single kid cry, even when I told them that they were getting nothing for Christmas because Santa knew that they were bad. Ha, Ha, Ha, Merry Christmas.

On the way back from playing Santa, I noticed that the Mexican restaurant, Los Tres Garcias Restaurant, that had been in the old Pancake House by the Interstate was not open. I asked about it at Ayda's and was told that they had moved to Wheatfield. I hope they do well there--I enjoyed their food. Being near the interstate is great if you have brand recognition, which is why the franchises locate there, but is not a good place for the mom-and-pop shops. People want to eat fast at some place that they have heard of. I recall a burger place there when we came called, I think, Burger Chalet. It died quickly when McDonalds arrived.

A couple things I wonder about. Why has no restaurant ever gone up on the east side of town? With the hospital, the care center, and the schools, there is a lot of traffic and a lot of people who work there. Is the Remington I65/US24 exit now busier than Rensselaer's exit? They seem to have grown a lot over the years compared to what is west of town.

No comments: