Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Saturday, February 26, 2022

Regional High School Art Show and other tidbits to end February.

The 29th Regional High School Art Show is on display at the Fendig Gallery.

The Gallery is open Tuesdays from noon until 4, Thursdays 2:00 until 6:00, and Saturdays noon until 2:00.
March 12 will be the last day of the exhibit.

Snow has given people ways to display their artistic creativity. I found these snow creatures the other day. They had started to melt and were past their prime but I took a picture because I really like the little dog.


I have a mouse or mice in my yard that have been busy tunneling under the snow. When the snow melts, their tunneling is revealed.  I am surprised that one of our neighborhood cats has not killed them.

The water in the quarry has reached the floor of the platform that once held a pump that kept the water from rising.
There are hundreds of geese that hang out in the quarry. I wonder where they go to eat when the snow covers the ground.

A sign that the Covid panic/pandemic is over:

If you get up early in the morning on a clear day, you will see Venus in the morning sky. It is very bright.

Rensselaer Baseball Inc (RBI) has obtained a Patronicity Grant to make improvements to Staddon Field, including upgrading the restroom. They need to have people donate to match the grant. More details are here.

I posted in late January that United Way of White County was administering a grant that still had money available for Jasper County. In its February meeting the review board approved grants that allocated all the remaining funds.

I have been trying to finish my taxes and I noticed that the county tax rate for Pulaski County is now lower than the county tax rate for Jasper County. Pulaski had the dubious distinction of having the highest rate in the State. Now they are third. Our tax rate for 2021 is 2.864% and Wabash County has a 2.9% rate. I counted 13 counties with rates 2.5% or more. When I first started attending County Council meetings, a couple of Council members pushed to get our rates lowered, but there was a tight limit on how much they could lower the rates every year. Then some changes in what the State allowed created a lot of uncertainty and that push evaporated. Sometime in the past the Council decided we should have high income taxes and low property taxes. I do wonder what prompted Pulaski County to lower their income tax rate.

My son in Kentucky reports that he has seen crocuses. Spring will get here.

No comments: