Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Monday, October 10, 2022

Decorations

 Rensselaer had its first frost of the season on Saturday morning, October 8, when the temperature dipped below freezing before sunrise. It killed only a few leaves in my garden so it was a very light frost.

New Art Exhibit

The new exhibit at the Fendig Gallery of the Carnegie Center is called "Focus on Fibers" and features quilts, hooked rungs, and baskets. Two impressive quilts hang on opposite sides of the gallery and both are done by Dula Meiser.


The baskets are spread throughout the gallery.
I do not know much about hooked rugs. In most of the ones on display, the design is by one person and the hooking was done by someone else.
An exception is this piece, both designed and hooked by Judy Lanoe.
The show runs until November 3. The gallery's hours are Tuesdays noon until 4:00 and Thursdays 3:00 until 6:00.

More scarecrows

Below are more of the scarecrows in Milroy Park. First up is a Franciscan entry.

I know little about Gavilon. I think they run but do not own the grain elevator at Pleasant Ridge. 

4-H has a funny looking scarecrow.
The ghostly girls is from the Jasper-Newton Foundation. When I first saw it I was not sure that it was finished, but it apparently is.
The Fire Department has a scarecrow that is hard to photograph because it is in partial shade.
I will post a few more in the future.

Other things

Farmers have had some excellent weather for the harvest. I finally got a picture of a combine in a soybean field. This is the field west of Sparling Avenue.

I saw a Facebook page that listed four places that are for rent in the College Mall. One of them is the former offices and rooms of Help at Home. I am not sure how long ago they left this location.
Strack & Van Til and the stores to the north have had their facades painted recently.

No comments: