Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Back to the farmers' market

I revisited the Farmers' Market on Saturday to see what they were selling. When it first started in May, there was not much available. As June ends, there were beets, onions, cabbages, broccoli, summer squash, kohlrabi, peas, turnips, radishes, peppers, potatoes and tomatoes for sale. I did not see any strawberries, cherries, or raspberries, though I may not have looked closely enough.
I grow turnips because they are easy to grow and mature quickly. I cannot imagine any other reason to grow them--they do not taste that good. I expected more peas, but maybe people do not buy them because they are a lot of work to shell. The lack of cherries may reflect the work needed to pick them. I am amazed as how nice the broccoli and cabbages looked, and that peppers and tomatoes were ripe already. Obviously some of these people are a lot better at growing things than I am. I still do not have even green tomatoes on my plants.

One of the non-food booths was selling hand-forged knives. I picked up his business card so I could remember his web address: http://shullhandforgedknives.com/.

No comments: