The plaque reads"
James Van Rensselaer 1784-1847 Founder of the town of Rensselaer, IND Came to Jasper Co. Ind. 1836The reason the plaque is here is that the grave of James Van Rensselaer, for whom the city of Rensselaer is named, is next to this plaque. In Europe it was common to have the graveyard on the church property, but not so much in the midwest of the United States.
Erected by General Van Rensselaer Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution and First Presbyterian Church 1976