Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Gardening

On Saturday, May 1, the Rensselaer Farmer's Market opened its 2010 season. I walked by to see what they were selling, and there were no fresh vegetables for sale, not even rhubarb and asparagus, which are in season.

I have put in gardens for many years, and right now most of what is coming up in mine are volunteers. In the picture below you can see some peas, which I planted. and also a little rhubarb plant which came up a year or two ago. but which got crowded last summer, so it is very small. If you know little plants, you should be able to see a bunch of tomato seedlings coming up just above the little rhubarb plant. They are the result of a tomato that did not get harvested. I need to dig them up and transplant them if I want them to grow. The leaf lettuce is also volunteer--I let some of the leaf lettuce bloom and go to seed last summer, and a few of them sprouted.
I have a flower in my garden! It is from a rutabaga that survived the winter and is now blooming. I hope it sets seed so I can grow more of them in the future.
The other plant that is doing well are my Egyptian Walking Onions. They are an onion that is decorative, but also can be eaten. As you can see, I have been keeping up with them and they are taking over the small patch of land that they are growing in. They spread quite rapidly. (One of my weaknesses as a gardener is that I have a hard time thinning. I know that when the seedlings are too crowded, they will  not do well, but I still have not found a way to get myself to thin them out.)
I still have a lot to do and I have not found the time to do it.

How is your garden growing?

No comments: