Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

A quick stop at Fair Oaks Farms

I was at an event near Fair Oaks Farms on Tuesday, so I decided to make a quick stop at FOF to take a few pictures of their newest buildings. The last time I was there no one seemed to know what the new construction project was. It will be the Crop Adventure.
 Fair Oaks Farms has been remarkably secretive about how they will make learning about farm crops fun and entertaining. I can find no details on-line and my requests to them for information have not gotten results. I asked the ladies at the admittance desk for information and they said they had none to give. WinField is a subsidiary of Land O' Lakes, which is a large farmer cooperative headquartered in Minnesota.

I have a hard time resisting pictures of workers at heights.
The northern side of the building is mostly glass.
 Here is what Land O' Lakes says about the Crop Adventure in their 2014 Land O' Lakes Foundation and Community Report:
Helping [people] learn more about and experience their food differently is at the heart of the WinField Crop Adventure, a new exhibit at Fair Oaks Farms in Fair Oaks, Indiana, where visitors can explore family farms and reconnect with nature, animals and our planet. Visitors will get a deeper look into the science, agronomic practices, technological breakthroughs and stewardship programs that have shaped modern agriculture. The exhibit is set to open in Fall 2015
Both the Pork Adventure and the Crop Adventure buildings are on the west side of the campus. There is room for a couple more big buildings to their north and east. The Green Gate Garden that is in front of the future Crop Adventure building had not been planted and when I asked about it, I was told that it might not be planted this year. The only thing growing was a healthy stand of horse radish.

I do not recall the cafe being the Cowfé. The signage was put up a few days ago. The oak leaf has become the symbol or icon of FOF.
The Pork Education Center is now open for visitors. Since I did not pay the admission fee, I did not go inside. The official grand opening will be June 28 and it sounds like it will be a big event.
 The same building viewed from the north.
 This is one of two old trucks parked by the building and part of the exhibit.
 On the west side is this funny structure that reminds me of the story of the Three Little Pigs.

For more pictures and updates, check the FOF webpage and their Facebook page.

No comments: