Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Pool closing

I bought a pool pass this year so I could swim laps (or widths) at the LaRue pool in Brookside park. There are fifteen minute breaks at 1:45-2:00 and at 3:45-4:00 during which only adults and lifeguards are allowed in the pool, and it is possible to swim without bumping into people during those times.

Today I went over a bit before 1:45 and not a single person was in the pool. The pool director was nice enough to let me swim my widths, and while I was doing that the lifeguards left. At 2:00 the pool was closed for lack of swimmers. Last week there were so many kids in the pool that, if you could have made them stand still, you would almost have been able to walk from one side to the other using their heads as stepping stones. What a difference a week makes, and what a strange way to begin July.

There will be people swimming tonight. The summer swim team has it picnic and has rented the pool. They are hard-core enough to swim even in this cooler weather.

By the way, though not as warm as the bathtub water that the pool had last week, the water is still comfortable. It is nowhere near as cold as water I swam in when I was a camp counselor in Minnesota and Wisconsin forty years ago.

No comments: