Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Happy Pączki Day

I saw the sign below in the Clauss Bakery & Cafe a few days ago.  Pączki (pronounced PUNCH-key) are a Polish pastry that is popular before Lent. Traditionally they were a main item on Fat Thursday, the Thursday before Ash Wednesday. (I do not remember eating pączki, but I have been told that I have tried one and I did not like it.)
Not only is the bakery selling them, but County Market is also advertising them. In the U.S, they are also popular on Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras.

The A with the little tail on it is an A-ogonek. In whatever typeface was used to make the sign, the ogonek was not connected to the A properly.

While we are on the topic of food, a LOVEly topic, have you seen the Fair Oaks Farms blog? They seem to be starting a weekly contest, which I probably should not be mentioning because now my chances of winning will be lower.

No comments: