Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Monday, July 26, 2021

Pictures from the County Fair

 The County Fair started Saturday. When I visited Sunday afternoon, the carnival rides had arrived but were not set up.

There were horses grazing south of the grandstand. They are horses that will be used in the rodeo, the grandstand attraction for Monday night.
There was a performance of the Canines in the Clouds dog show ending as I arrived. I tried to take some pictures but they did not turn out. I did get a picture of the queens watching the show.
Something new this year was a barrel ride. It cost $2.00.
Also new was what seems to be a laser-tag arena.
Roaming the fairgrounds was a person in a robot suit. 
Also roaming the grounds was Bufford Bear driving a little car. I took several pictures but none of them turned out well—the light was wrong.

A Huber tractor was in the retired iron building. I had never heard of the brand. It was manufactured in Ohio until WWII when the government told the company to make construction equipment. After the war the company did not return to tractor production.
Later in the evening there was a steam engine demonstration planned. I have a soft spot for steam engines because a grandfather and an uncle collected and maintained several. The two were in the farm implement business in central Minnesota.
Many of the food booths are different this year. The most unusual one was shaped like an elephant.
The many 4-H projects had been judged. This drawing rightly won some big awards.
I do not remember the gazebo from the fair two years ago. This is a view from the new Fair headquarters looking east.
By 6:30 the crowds were beginning to build. And that's when I left.


I noticed sycamore trees are shedding bark. I checked the Internet and found that shedding bark is normal and not a sign of a problem.

No comments: