Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Hawthorn and locust tree flowers

Last week the honey locust trees began to bloom. Though their leaves and seed pods look a lot like those of the black locust trees, the flowers are completely different, suggesting that the two types of trees are not closely related.
I also noticed that the hawthorn tree by the post office is blooming. The other hawthorns that I have seen bloomed weeks ago, shortly after the apple trees.
Finally, the brambles are blooming or have bloomed already. That means raspberries and blackberries are on the way.

1 comment:

judy arbinger said...

I am trying to locate E. Ray Bozell in Rensselaer, IN. I bought a bottle of their honey and it is THE BEST IN THE WORLD but no phone number or web. Bought it at the Cow Palace off I-65. Can you help me locate Bozell. Thanks.