Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Peach harvest

For the past two weeks, but especially last week, I have been busy cutting up peaches. My peach trees bore fruit abundantly this year. (My fruit trees bear every other year--last year I had apples, and this year peaches. I wish they would bear smaller crops each year.)
The tree was grown from a peach pit. I have found if you plant the pits from good peaches, you probably will get a reasonably good peach tree. (The same does not hold for apples.) None of my peach trees have ever lasted very long. If they bear for five years before dying, I am satisfied. (The exception has been the tree that bears tiny little peaches that tend to rot on the tree. It may be twenty years old now. When it was young I cut it down, but it just grew back.)

In addition to helping can them, I have been turning them into peach crisp and freezing them. Here is a crisp recipe from a couple years ago that is easily modified for peaches. I use more oatmeal and less flour and sugar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just took some more peach crisp out of the freezer. Thanks for the delicious treat!
~SS