Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Some favorite posts from 2013

Yesterday I listed many changes that occurred in Rensselaer during 2013. Today I am looking back at experiences that I found the most interesting or entertaining and that also resulted in blog posts.

Early in the year I enjoyed watching the destruction of the old Monnett School. I was sorry to see it demolished, but the demolition had provided lots of good photographs.

Business closings are always melancholy, but I was glad I was able to eat lunch at Bazz's Eat-N-Sip on its last day of business.

I went to quite a few meetings this year that I would not have attended if I was not looking for things to write about. At meetings of the Jasper County Historical Society I stumbled on the history of the Babcocks. The eldest of the three built the elevator business that we see along the CSX tracks under different ownership, and the middle Babcock started a construction business, of which the Babcock Quarry remains.

In 2012 I missed most of the County Fair. In 2013 I was able to experience what is undoubtedly the biggest community event in the county.

The repairing of the McKinley Street railroad crossing was not a big project, but it brought back memories of other railroad adventures from a few years ago. I found it more interesting than the construction of the Rensselaer Amtrak station.

I enjoyed several events at eMbers, which opened this year, but none more than the concert that attracted the young fans of a boy band. I enjoyed the experience even though I rarely listen to music and never buy it.

I went to quite a few ribbon cuttings and open houses. The one I liked second best was that for the Water Treatment Plant. I enjoy learning how things work, and the water treatment plant involves complex processes that take some time to understand.

The open house that I enjoyed the most was the opening of the Pig Adventure at Fair Oaks Farms. Not only does it involve complex processes that take time to understand, but it also designed to delight and entertain the visitor.

I hope that 2014 will be as much fun to write about as 2013 was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy seeing what stones you uncover in a community in the middle of corn & soybean fields. Some very interesting surprises. Thank you for the Adventures.