Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Deliverance 2

A couple months ago I posted a bunch of pictures about delivery--not the kind that results in babies, but the kind that restocks stores and factories. (The kind that results in babies would be fun to do, but I do not know how I could get that story line in an effective way.) I keep accumulating pictures of delivery and thought it might be a good time to do another post about the topic.

I have noticed that occasionally a rail car full of wood is parked by the grain elevators.
After a day or two, the rail car disappears and the wood is piled next to one of the big storage bins.
Where does it go next? I saw one of the pallets by Woods Seed and Lumber. By the way, Woods no longer sells garden seed. They told me that there was not enough business to make it worth while. Fewer people garden than used to garden.Woods does get some of the lumber they sell from truck shipments. I saw a delivery one day. (Woods Lumber--isn't that an appropriate name for a lumber yard?)Back to the elevator. After a few more days, the lumber will get transferred to a truck.
Where does it go then? One place that uses large amounts of lumber is the Sealy mattress factory. Below is a picture of wood being delivered there. It is not the same wood as was unloaded from the rail car.
The pieces of wood are much smaller, not the two by fours that seem to be size of the rail-shipped wood. (Sorry about the stray glove in the picture. That should not be happening now that the weather is getting warmer.)
The Sealy factory puzzles me. It has two sections that are not connected. Below is a shipment to the eastern part of the factory. What do they make there, and how do they get it to the other part of the factory? Wouldn't if be more efficientent if the entire factory were under one roof?
For some reason I took picture of another delivery. I am sure that Sealy gets many deliveries each day, and they probably ship out many more truck loads than they receive.
Another place that gets some wood deliveries is Smith's Farm Store. Here is a delivery of posts.
So you should be wondering where the lumber from the train was going. It ends up at Stark Truss, where it is made into trusses. I suspect that this year there is not a lot of lumber being delivered, so I was lucky to get the sequence of pictures I did. A year or two ago there would have been many more deliveries. These trusses are used in area construction. A few years ago there was a delivery a day to Lafayette, which had a tremendous number of new homes going up.

No comments: