Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

I missed the chipper

It took the city of Rensselaer weeks to clean up all the debris from the ice storm of December. When the city trucks did pick it up, they took it to a city lot on Matheson Street, where they piled it into a very impressive pile.


Below is a city truck with a load of branches arriving. (Click on the picture for a larger view.)



It dumps its puny load next to the large existing pile. How many small loads like this one would it take to make the big pile. Thousands?Every so often a loader would pile the the branches and trunks so even more could be deposited. I was hoping that I would be able to get some pictures of the chipper that the city brings in to reduce all this debris into wood chips.
Alas, though I have seen the chipper in past years, I missed it this year. Tuesday after Easter I went by the lot and saw that the huge pile had been replaced by a much smaller pile of chips. City trucks were still bringing in branches, but it is unlikely the new pile will get to be nearly as big as the old pile was.


I recall that in the past the city has made these chips available for people who want them. I suspect there will be more than people will want to take this year. I wonder what they will do with them.

No comments: