Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Saturday, July 27, 2019

Paving etc

The walking trail and the basketball courts in the Staddon-Monnett Park were paved on Friday.
 I checked back in the evening and the entire trail that was marked out was paved. (The trail will be extended once the soccer fields are finished.)
 Also on Friday,  paving crew was finishing up at Autumn Trace. Also, the light pole was not up two days ago.
In addition to the paving workers, there was a crew from Clarks in Remington landscaping. Two trucks were delivering furniture and two dumpsters were full of the cardboard boxes in which the furniture came. In one week Autumn Trace will have it grand opening with tours for the public from 11 till 2.

CSX has paved and opened the last two rail crossings that they had closed, those at Scott Street and Melville Street.

There has been no work on the Janet's Kitchen mural this week. The manhole cover below was decorated with a monster face at the beginning of the month. All that is left are traces of the blue and white paint.
 I have not gotten out to the fair much this year, but did go on Wednesday. I stopped at the horse arena to take a few pictures because horses make good pictures.
 The rides were doing a good business.  I cannot imagine paying to go on this ride, but maybe when I was young I might have.
 There are a number of kiddie rides and another torture ride that you can see in the distance.
I talked to several people in the Commercial tent at the Fair. The most interesting conversation was with Ivy Tech. I told them that they should offer classes in Rensselaer and was told that they are working on that. They may have a class or two in January on the Saint Joe campus. Time will tell if it pans out.

 On the way home I saw a deer in the field north of the new dog park. It started moving when I stopped to take a picture.
 Not far away, on the side of the road along the newest section of Weston Cemetery was another deer and this one did not move when I took its picture.
It was not there when I had passed the spot a couple hours earlier. As I was stopped, a police car came by, turned around, and the officer told me that all the appropriate authorities had been notified about the animal.

The quarry people are again pumping water from the Babcock Quarry. They will not let it fill and several years ago I was told that the pumping keeps some options open.

No comments: