Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Friday, July 19, 2019

Ribbon cutting and more

Country Bumpkin had a ribbon cutting on Thursday. The store has been open in this location since March. Before that it was in the building that once held Long's Gift Shop.
While there I checked out the mural being painted on Janet's Kitchen.
 Then it was on to see what was happening at NITCO's customer appreciation day. While I was there everything was fine, but there were very dark clouds to the west. After I left the rain arrived and largely shut down the event.
 This below is a bicycle that has been decorated so intensely that it cannot be ridden. I told my grandkids a few days ago that it was the world's most beautiful bike. But this may not be the same bike.

At the beginning of June I had a post about Rensselaer authors. Yesterday someone pointed out another to me, Jim Ellis. He wrote a book titled "The Jumping Frog from Jasper County." It tells of his rise to the top of the advertising world, running ad campaigns for a number of common American brand names. I will know more when I finish the book. I am always delighted when I find another amazing story about someone with a Rensselaer connection. Ellis is buried in Weston Cemetery so he may be a future stop on a Weston Cemetery tour. I keep wondering how many other fascinating stories we can find.

By the way, this year's Weston Cemetery tour will have its kickoff at the Jasper County Fair on Sunday at 5:00 when three of the re-enactors will reprise their 2018 roles.  The date for this year's event is September 21 at 3:00. I believe tickets will go on sale on Sunday.

A second business has announced plans to locate in the Remington-Wolcott area. Sweetener Supply will locate in the Wolcott's Mid-America Commerce Park. It joins Inteplast, which earlier this month announced plans to expand near Remington.

No comments: