Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Up, up and away

This morning I stopped by the elevator to see what, if anything, was going on. I was just in time to see a worker riding the ball of the crane up to the top.
He probably enjoyed the ride. I was nervous just watching him go up.
How high is that? A couple hundred feet?
There are a lot of empty nozzles to allow the attachment of more pipes. I am sure they will not use them all. To get him all the way up, the crane extended a bit more after I took this picture.
Thinking about this, I realized that I know someone who descends on ropes into caves, and sometimes the vertical drop is over 100 feet. And it is all done in the dark--which might actually make it easier. But I never watch that and I never want to watch that.

1 comment:

Desert Survivor said...

It's not as scary if you can't see how far the ground is below you!