Rensselaer Adventures

This blog reports events and interesting tidbits from Rensselaer, Indiana and the surrounding area.

Monday, April 12, 2010

The blooming trees

Spring seems to be a little earlier this year. If I had not done so much about flowering trees last year, I would be doing a post about the magnolias today. However, I did one last year, on April 22.

Other posts in the series:
April 17 weeping willow
April 30, redbud and flowering pears
May 7, flowering dogwood
May15 horse chestnut and others
May 19 tulip trees
May 26 black locust
June 1 hawthorn and honey locust
June 9 catalpa
June 18 basswood

Here is one tree I did not show last year, the peach, which is just beginning to bloom. Many fruit trees are on a year and then off a year. Last year my peaches were off, but this year they will be on and produce a crop unless we get a severe frost. This particular tree has tiny but very sweet peaches that tend to crack and rot on the tree. When it bears fruit it shows so much promise and it so often disappoints. Lots of things in life are like that.
I did not take this close up of a peach blossom. It is better than what my camera can do.
Also blooming are the wild plums, a shrub that I do not think I showed last year. This one has a lot of flowers but I will be very surprised if it has more than a handful of plums.

No comments: